Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Hurray for Mobile Blogging! Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Saturday, July 13, 2013
Not on Break Saturday, July 13, 2013
Wow, I can't believe it's been this long since I've posted anything in this blog! :(
I'm not on break, I've just had a ton of things to do and I haven't even had time for myself recently. Work has pretty much taken all of my hours, not to mention my family duties.
I really hope I can somewhat make time for posting on this blog, it's something I really like doing.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Getting Hired on oDesk Tuesday, December 04, 2012
Whenever people find out that I work from home and that I work through oDesk, their first question is always how I got hired. It's not an easy task, nor is it easy to explain. Let me give you more details why.
First of all, I got my first job on oDesk after months and months of applying. I went through tons of rejected applications due to the fact that I did not have any feedback on my profile, and I guess some clients just didn't like the thought of working with a newbie. So what did I do?
You should make sure to write a killer cover letter. State in your cover letter why you'd be a good fit for the job as well as any related experience you may have for the job, or any special skills you can put to use. It's also a good idea to attach samples of related work, or offer to create a sample, especially if you're applying for a writing job.
I think one of the things you have to keep in mind is that you should apply for jobs you actually like doing, as well as jobs you know you'll be good at. You shouldn't apply for writing jobs if you're not into writing, and so on. You'll want to build your online reputation and doing things you can and like doing is the best way to go.
Patience and perseverance also comes into play. You'll get rejected a lot of times, but then there's a chance that someone in the far side of the globe will take the risk and hire you. Once that person does hire you, make sure to give it your best so that they won't look for another contractor and keep giving you all of their projects.
That's pretty much all I can think of as of this time with regards to how you can get hired on oDesk. Feel free to leave a comment below in case you have any ideas or suggestions you'd like to share.
Thursday, November 15, 2012
Amalayer Thursday, November 15, 2012
So this is the very hot and trending Amalayer video (Amalayer = I'M A LIAR). I can't really fairly judge the girl in this video because for starters, we don't know exactly what happened and I wasn't there personally when this scene happened. So please note that my opinions will be based solely and only on what is seen on the video and nothing else. In this light, do note a couple of things:
- This is my blog and I'll write whatever I want in it.
- If you don't like it, don't waste your time leaving me a lengthy hate comment - all comments on this blog are moderated and I'll just simply delete yours without any hesitation. In short, you're wasting your time in doing so.
- This is MY blog. Read something else if you don't like it.
Without further ado, here's what I think about the Amalayer video:
- I gotta hand it to modern technology - it's very easy to capture anything and everything that happens, and sharing it in social media sites makes it viral in an instant, like this video. (Is it just me or are you also reminded of Carabuena and the MMDA?)
- Making a scene in public is always a big no-no. There are more civilized ways in resolving problems and this is definitely not one of them. Besides, people should have learned from what happened to Carabuena - anyone can pop their phones out and record you having a tantrum in public. Not to mention the fact that videos on Facebook spread REALLY fast.
- I noticed that the girl in the video speaks in Tagalog whenever she's talking to the male guard, but keeps speaking in English to the lady guard. Hmmmmm...
- It is never a good idea to brag about your education, especially if you're acting like you didn't get any. And no, speaking in English doesn't equate to having an education.
- Guards are there for a reason. If you don't like following security procedures in public transport systems, get your own car and get a driver to drive you where you need to go. And then when you're old enough to drive on your own, make sure you don't throw a Carabuena - that will definitely make you famous all over again. I wonder why the girl in this video is the one demanding an apology from the guard when for starters, according to a news article online, she was the one who did not follow security procedures. If the lady guard was strict, that's her job - to make sure everyone complies to the inspection and security procedures for the safety of everyone.
Friday, November 9, 2012
A New Look Friday, November 09, 2012
At a spur-of-the-moment decision, I decided to change the template of this blog. :)
I've always liked the contrast of black against other colors, and this template gives me exactly that. So for the time being, this is how my blog template will be.
Thursday, November 8, 2012
I Love Twitter Thursday, November 08, 2012
I am really beginning to like Twitter. It's like a search engine by and for Twitter users, and I'm getting to meet and connect people who share similar interests as mine.
For instance, since I wasn't able to attend the oDesk Contractor Appreciation Day, I was able to view pictures that other attendees uploaded, as well as read about what happened during the said event.
At first I thought Twitter was about tweeting what you want and that was it. I guess I was very wrong. You can do a lot of things on Twitter and it's just up to you on how you will maximize making use of it.
Labels: reviews and opinion