Thursday, November 6, 2008

On Obama Winning the Presidency

I'm not a US Citizen, but my job lets me to talk to Americans 8 hours a day for 5 days. I feel the impact of the recession as the company I work for is run by Americans, and the clients that the company caters to are also Americans. I also feel the impact of the elections every day even though I am not there.

I get customers who like talking with me and some who just stubbornly insist that they be transferred to an American customer service representative. I can honestly say that when I talk, it is very hard to distinguish whether I am an American or not, but there are just some who insist you tell them where you're located. I don't lie, I'm proud to say that I'm in the Philippines, and then they state that they don' t want to talk to you anymore.

With Obama winning the election, I am not expecting that racism will stop, nor that I won't get any more rude American customers over the phone. But I do hope that this serve as a wake-up call for everybody that color and ethnicity are not the real measures of a person's worth or capacity to serve. I wish Obama the best of luck.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...