Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Plus is OK

I've always admired the likes of Kate Moss, Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell. With their polished faces, impeccable smiles, perfect hair, and Barbie - like bodies, who wouldn't? When I was growing up I'd eat half of my food since I was never thin enough in my own opinion and I imitated their walks on the catwalk, I'd fix my hair and play with make-up, and dress up with clothes I found from my mom's and my sister's closets.

But when I got into a long term relationship that eventually ended up into marriage, I realized that I liked myself. Even though I was never as slim or as thin as I wanted to be, somebody fell in love with me for just the way I was. This realization came as an epiphany for me and it opened my eyes into self acceptance. Sure, I'll never be a Kate Moss or a Cindy Crawford in this life, but I was special and I meant the world to someone, just the way I am. For me, that meant a whole lot more.

Years later and with two children of my own who are also girls, I try to imbue in them the value of loving themselves. With motherhood and being a wife, I may have gained more weight than when I was single, but being a plus size doesn't mean the end of the world. I've learned that dress sizes shouldn't mean everything to us as it certainly does not hold the key to one's happiness. A dress size should not dictate what kind of life a person is bound to live, and it should not be everything there is about a person. There is far more to life than fitting into small sized clothes, and I wish I had learned that sooner.

All I can say is, to those who are easily attracted by physical appearances, especially towards thin people, you don't know what you're missing. Sure, they may be attractive and look better in clothes, but try being skin deep for a change. Being a plus size is absolutely OK.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...