Monday, October 15, 2007

Dreams in Belize




"We're here!"

Henry took off my blindfold and I rubbed my eyes. On our fourth anniversary, he promised an adventure vacation I wouldn't forget (and regret, since our last anniversary almost left me crying at the amusement park we went to).

He surprised me this time around with a trip to Belize, a country that I've always wanted to go to. I know that Belize is the only English speaking country in the entire Central America, and I knew it's history and geography like the back of my hand.

"What was the blindfold for? I wanted to see the San Ignacio Town. Did you know that..." he stopped me before I could say another word.

"That's precisely what the blindfold was for. I didn't want a tour guide during the drive," he grinned.

"Hahaha," I replied sarcastically. My sarcasm was instantly replaced by awe when my eyes took in the sight in front of us. "This place is awesome!" The resort we were at was like heaven on Earth. The Chaa Creek Resort was huge, inviting, and had an easy and relaxing atmosphere.

"Well, don't just stand there. Let's see our cottage. I got us in for an adventure package with all meals included, plus we get to..." I could have sworn Henry's voice was literally fading into the background as I absorbed our cottage. Beautifully decorated with fine fabrics, unobtrusive furnishings, plus a sundeck - all the things I wanted to do were running through my head.

I decided to stretch on our bed with a wonderful reddish-orange sheet. The lights were wonderful - they gave an instant romantic atmosphere in addition to the palm-thatched ceiling I was currently staring at.

"The first thing I want to do is paddle along the Macal River," I stated. To my surprise, Henry was already dressed and ready - and so was I! "Are we taking a guide with us?"

"You know how I critique guides, we'd be better off alone. Besides, you probably know the river more than anyone I know." Being a tour guide himself, I knew what he meant. He's sure to comment on the slightest twinge of our guide, plus the fact that he doesn't like being told what to do.

"Okay then, let's go. Why don't we go bird-watching tomorrow on horseback? That'll be fun."

"Whatever you want," was his only reply. We got to where our boats were docked, got our life vests, and started paddling away.

We were paddling for about an hour or so when it suddenly started to rain - and it rained hard. "We ought to head back to shore!" My husband shouted amidst the sound of heavy raindrops and thunder.

"How do you turn this thing around?" I screamed. I was beginning to panic, our legs were already soaked in water and I didn't think our raft was going to make it. I couldn't see the shore either - the rain was so hard I could barely keep my eyes open.

"Just paddle!" He shouted back. My heart was thumping and the only thing I could hear was angry thunder as the sky was filled with streaks of lightning. "No, I paddle, you take water out of the raft!" He shouted again. Our raft was seriously getting filled with water as we tried to navigate back to shore against gushing winds, heavy rain, and strong currents.

I took the pail I found from underneath where I was sitting and started to drain water out of our raft. No matter how fast I went, rain kept filling our raft back up with even more water. Exhausted and wet, my arms were shaking from emptying the raft with water plus all our earlier paddling.

"I think I see the shore!" I shouted as I stood up pointing to what I thought was the shore - which was also the biggest mistake I made.

Our raft overturned due to my sudden movement and I was swarmed by cold water all over. I tried as hard as I could to push myself back up, but the current was stronger than me. Worst, I didn't even know how to swim - at all. I tried to shout for help but water came rushing in my mouth. I was terrified; I couldn't see anything and water filled my throat. My hands tried to find anything I could hold on to to keep me from going down, until another pair of hands caught mine and gave it a shake.

I opened my eyes only to find myself still lying on our reddish-orange bed, and Henry busy unpacking our stuff. "Are you going to help me unpack or what?" he grumpily said.

"Yeah, sure." "It was only a dream," I said to myself. I've never been more happier to see myself in dry clothes which I've worn for more than 17 hours. I reached for my suitcase and started to open it just when Henry said:

"The first thing I want to do is paddle along the Macal River."


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...